Staff at McDonald’s restaurants in 10 US cities will walk out on Tuesday, Sept.18 over claims the fast food giant is not doing enough to prevent sexual harassment.
The strike comes after 25 women filed complaints against the chain, alleging it failed to enforce company rules against abuse.
The women said they were ignored after reporting incidents including groping, indecent exposure and lewd comments.
McDonald’s said there was “no place for harassment” at its restaurants.
Organisers said the strike would target multiple restaurants in cities including Chicago, Los Angeles and Miami.
It is thought several hundred staff will walk out.
McDonald’s has a company-wide sexual harassment policy but the protestors – who are backed by the Time’s Up Legal Defense Fund want to see improvements.
They say procedures for responding to harassment complaints are inadequate and that all staff should undergo anti-harassment training.
Since 2016, 25 McDonald’s workers have filed complaints with the US National Labor Relations Board, alleging their reports of harassment were ignored, mocked or met with retaliation.
Breauna Morrow, a 15-year-old cashier in St Louis, said that she had been “repeatedly harassed” by a co-worker using “graphic, sexual language”.
However, when she reported the incident her “supervisors did nothing”.
Another employee said she had reported being groped by a co-worker at a New Orleans outlet.
Instead of taking action, her managers mocked the woman and said “she was probably giving the worker ‘sex appeal’.
McDonald’s spokeswoman Andrea Abate said: “We have policies, procedures and training in place that are specifically designed to prevent sexual harassment at our company and company-owned restaurants, and we firmly believe that our franchisees share this commitment.”
McDonald’s also continues to face pressure from labour unions over the wages it pays it staff.
The Fight for $15, a national movement seeking to increase the minimum wage, has been pressurising the chain to increase wages and improve working conditions.
OBA AND THE SHAMEFUL CELEBRATIONS OF CRIMINALITY
BREAKING: Court jails Akwa Ibom YPP gov candidate 42 years for corruption
GOV EMMANUEL REACTS TO APPOINTMENT AS PDP CAMPAIGN CHAIRMAN, SAYS HARMONY NEEDED FOR PARTY’S SUCCESS
AKWA IBOM GUBER 2023: AKAN OKON GETS NEW LAWYER, SEEKS FRESH AMENDMENT TO PETITION
Multi billionaire businessman Abig Nwankwo gets support from kinsmen
NEWS3 years ago
NEW INT’L AIRPORT TERMINAL, TO BOOST AKWA IBOM’S IGR – A’IBOM INFO BOSS
SPORTS3 years ago
Governor Emmanuel to Commission 18,000 Seater Eket Sports Stadium, MAY 27
NEWS6 years ago
NAS holds 2017 Feast of Barracuda in Eket
NEWS2 years ago
NOSDRA CONFIRMS OIL SPILLAGE IN A’IBOM COMMUNITIES
NEWS5 years ago
FAMILY ENDORSES ENO ROBERT FOR NUNG NDEM 1 COUNCILLORSHIP POSITION
NEWS3 years ago
NASS Committees Issue ExxonMobil 2 Weeks to Review MOU with Host Communities in Akwa Ibom
NEWS2 years ago
FLARE STACK FIRE AT EXXONMOBIL FACILITY CLAIMS ONE LIFE IN AKWA IBOM
OPINION2 years ago
Appreciating the International Worship Centre