AKWA IBOM UNDER UDOM’S CARE
- Environment And Mineral Resources In Focus
It was Ansel Adams, who said “It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment.” But with the Udom Emmanuel-led administration, this quote would be left in the realm of fallacy.
In 2014, during the election campaign for the hill top mansion, Governor Udom Emmanuel came on board with industrialization as one of his campaign promises to the good people of Akwa Ibom. After elections were conducted and won, the undeterred and very focused Mr. Industrialization, after being sworn in as Governor, immediately swung into action.
So far so good, the conscious efforts of Governor Emmanuel towards fulfilling his campaign promise to Akwa Ibom people is yielding fruits as Akwa Ibom is now rated “the emerging industrial hub of Africa”.
However, the role of a clean and green environment in the industrialization drive of His Excellency cannot be over-emphasized. Having full knowledge of this, the governor has placed premium on the safety of lives and property with his policy thrust on environment and mineral resources which is targeted at pollution control/waste management, forest/erosion control, forest reserves conservation, mineral resources development and sustained awareness campaign on good public attitude towards environment protection.
Below are the modalities and programmes that the State Chief Executive has put in place in a bid to ensure a clean and healthy Akwa Ibom for indigenes, tourists and investors in Akwa Ibom State:
– Timely waste collection and disposal in burgeoning urban centres of the state; acquisition of four new 20 ft waste baskets and refurbishment of 100 receptacles.
– Daily sweeping of roads and regular desilting of public drains to check street flooding.
– Reclamation of over one hectare for extension of Uyo Urban Central dumpsite at Uyo village road.
– Site acquisition and preparation for integrated Waste Management Projects.
– Gully erosion control and urban drainage construction/maintenance works at Anua, Oron and Mbak erosion sites.
– Mediating between oil companies and host communities, especially the signing of Memorandum of Understanding for uninterrupted petroleum production in the state.
– Landscaping and open space beautification/maintenance of parks.
– Action plan for biodiversity preservation.
– Street campaigns and sustained Radio/Tv jingles for public sensitization.
– Regular environmental monitoring via GIS and update of environmental laboratory facilities.
– Building co-operation with government and non-governmental organizations for regulated and regular environmental operations in the state.
– Successful taking over of the Green Brigade, an initiative of Her Excellency, Mrs Ekaette Akpabio in collaboration with the ministry, aimed at keeping Akwa Ibom clean as well as employing of 2000 youths.
– Improved and effective urban refuse evacuation and disposal activities, especially within Uyo, and waste management equipment maintenance facility at Itam.
– Maintenance of truck compactors and refuse receptacles, which are strategically located within the State.
– The re-introduction of the state-wide monthly sanitation, every last Saturday of the month.
– Tackling indiscriminate sand dredging activities in the State in order to come up with resolution and environmental guidelines duly signed by regulators of sand mining.
– Introduction of mobile sanitation courts and an upgraded enforcement unit to curb street trading.
– Site acquisition and preparation for integrated waste management projects at Ekim junction.
– Donation and delivery of receptacles from Zenith Bank PLC.
– Remedial gully erosion intervention at Enen Atai, Calabar-Itu Highway.
– World Bank assisted erosion control measures at St. Luke’s Hospital, Anua, Uyo/Etim Umana.
– Ongoing flood control measures on IBB way behind Idongesit Nkanga Secretariat.
– Discovery of over 30 locations in the State with solid minerals such as Clay, Silica sand, Limestone and kaolin, which on development will increase the Internally Generated Revenue, IGR of the state and also create job opportunities for the teaming Akwa Ibom youths.
– Inauguration of Mineral Resources and Environmental Management Committee (MIREMCO) headed by a renowned son of the State, Obong Bassey Inuaeyen; a committee to oversee the development of solid minerals and other environment related issues.
– Successful hosting of First Akwa Ibom Climate Change And Clean Energy Summit /Expo.
It is expected that, with these programmes and more, the high rating of the State by environmentalists will enjoy even further reviews.
EXPOSED: Why Akpabio wants Akan Udofia disqualified from Governorship Race
BREAKING: Elections Below Expectations, INEC Lacked Transparency – International Observers
EFCC DENIES RAIDING TINUBU’S RESIDENCE
A’Ibom General Hospital Records Successful Cardiac Pacemaker Implant
OBA AND THE SHAMEFUL CELEBRATIONS OF CRIMINALITY
NEWS3 years ago
NEW INT’L AIRPORT TERMINAL, TO BOOST AKWA IBOM’S IGR – A’IBOM INFO BOSS
NEWS6 years ago
NAS holds 2017 Feast of Barracuda in Eket
SPORTS3 years ago
Governor Emmanuel to Commission 18,000 Seater Eket Sports Stadium, MAY 27
NEWS2 years ago
NOSDRA CONFIRMS OIL SPILLAGE IN A’IBOM COMMUNITIES
NEWS6 years ago
FAMILY ENDORSES ENO ROBERT FOR NUNG NDEM 1 COUNCILLORSHIP POSITION
NEWS3 years ago
NASS Committees Issue ExxonMobil 2 Weeks to Review MOU with Host Communities in Akwa Ibom
NEWS2 years ago
FLARE STACK FIRE AT EXXONMOBIL FACILITY CLAIMS ONE LIFE IN AKWA IBOM
OPINION2 years ago
Appreciating the International Worship Centre